Conference on Equality Data
"Equality Data as a Tool for Combating Discrimination" was a conference arranged by the Swedish Equality Ombudsman during the Swedish Presidency of the Council of the European Union in 2023. The aim was to explore the significance of equality data on combating discrimination in society.
Conference programme (complete version)
Please find recordings from the conference in five parts: the opening session, the three sessions with examples and panels and finally the closing session. (The performances of the two spoken word artists are not included.)
- Swedish Equality Ombudsman Lars Arrhenius
- Keynotespeaker high-level representative of the
Commission Helena Dalli, European Commissioner
- Keynotespeaker Rosemary Kayess, Chairperson of the
United Nations Committee on the Rights of Persons
Approaches and challenges on how to
collect and analyse equality data. Three examples.
- Michaela Moua, EU Anti-Racism Coordinator
- Love Ander, Analyst, Swedish Equality Ombudsman
- Nathalie Schlenzka, Head of Unit for Research and General Affairs, The Federal Anti-Discrimination Agency (FADA)
- Iris Elliott, Head of Policy & Research, Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission.
Critical perspective on equality data
in the role of combating discrimination (including panel session)
- Edda Manga, Scientific leader, Researcher, Multicultural Center
- Rossalina Latcheva, Head of the Anti-Racism and
Non-Discrimination Sector in the Equality, Roma and Social Rights Unit of the EU Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA)
- Thomas Helgeson, Head of the section at Statistics Sweden, responsible for statistics related to Living conditions and Democracy.
Possibilities from the perspective of
civil society. Why is equality data imperative in
combating discrimination? (including panel session)
- Tamás Kádár, Co-Director, European Network of Equality Bodies (Equinet)
- Nicolás Marugán (Deputy Director General for Equal
Treatment & Ethnic-Racial Diversity), Council for the
Elimination of Ethnic or Racial Discrimination
- Micah Grzywnowicz, member of the Advisory Board, the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association (ILGA) Europe
- Marie Cham, chairwoman, the National Organization of Afro-Swedes
- Mia Ahlgren, representative from European Disability Forum.
- Tena Šimonović Einwalter (Chair & Office of the Ombudswoman, Croatia, Ombudswoman), European Network of Equality Bodies (Equinet)
- Lars Arrhenius, Swedish Equality Ombudsman
Moderator of the day: Hanna Gerdes
About the conference
The conference focused on the significance of equality data on combating discrimination in society and what contribution equality data can make to the individual obtaining redress.
It fostered dialogue and discussion about what equality data are, how they can be used as part of the work to combat discrimination and promote equal rights and opportunities for all.
The conference also shined light on the challenges present in the work to gather, compile and use equality data to combat discrimination. It had a reflective approach in which the Swedish Equality Ombudsman’s role was that of facilitator, where we highlighted various perspectives, opinions, and methods regarding equality data.
During the conference, the Swedish Equality Ombudsman presented the results from our first, of what will become, annual reports on the state of discrimination in Sweden.
The conference gathered representatives from for example
- equality bodies
- civil society organisation
- the academia and
- policy makers in Sweden and other EU Member States
It was held in Stockholm the 12th of May 2023.